Indoor Pool will be Closed for Maintenance Wednesday September 14 - Friday September 16
Outdoor Pool will be Remaining Open through Sunday September 18
Fall/Winter Trash and Recycling Pick Up Begins Oct. 1
Trash and Recycling will be picked up on Thursdays Only
Special Board Meeting Has Been Moved from Wednesday September 14 to Friday September 16 at 11:30 AM in rooms Conference Rooms 1 and 2
Over the past few weeks we have seen our community experience a number issues regarding landscaping both residentially and in common areas. The board recently voted and approved certain common areas to be treated for Bermuda grass and Nutsedge weeds alongside our regular broadleaf treatment.
As management we have received a number of emails from concerned residents about the state of our common areas. I want to reassure you that these areas have not fallen by the wayside. We actually could not affectively treat these areas until the temperature became cooler. Our contractors are addressing these areas now.
With this in mind I would like to remind all residents that now is the time to treat your lawn. In the near future you can expect management to send out reminder notices throughout the community to address landscaping issues. If a home does not address their landscaping issues, then they can/will be held to the community standards by way of the violation procedure. (Note – though a reminder letter is good gesture, it is not a requirement for the violation process to be enacted). Also keep in mind that the grass between the sidewalk and the street directly in front of each home is the responsibility of the homeowner/resident to maintain.
In a recent article of the Gazette our Advanced Master Gardener and Tree Steward said the following about caring for your lawn in September.
Fall is the time of year that your lawn needs lots of tender loving care. Fertilization and broadleaf weed control are critical. Providing it in the fall, when grass grows deep roots, will give you a healthy, thick, weed-free lawn next spring. Remember that crabgrass is controlled in the early spring. The following program is recommended and encouraged by Virginia Tech and works well in Falls Run. If you use a lawn service, give them a copy of this article to follow.
Mid-late September (Aerate, Compost, Overseed, & Fertilize Lawn)
· Aerate with a deep-core aerator. But first, mow the lawn low, and water the soil to a depth of 3-4 inches. This is the best thing you can do for your lawn.
· Top dress the entire lawn with 1/4-1/2 inch of compost (Use Leafgro or a bio solid/compost combination). This is the next best thing you can do for your lawn.
· Apply 40 pounds of lime per 1000 square feet. Use the pelletized form for ease of application. You can apply lime at any time the ground is not frozen. (A soil test will tell you exactly how much lime you need.)
· Spread tall fescue grass seed between September 15 and October 15. In bare areas or for complete lawn renovations, use 6-8 pounds per 1000 square feet. If you are over- seeding, use 3-4 pounds per 1000 square feet. Read the label to make sure the seed has not expired. Keep seed moist until it sprouts. Depending on rainfall, wind and temperature, multiple light watering’s (5-10 minutes each day) may be needed. Once sprouts appear, water 1/2 inch twice a week. Do not overseed if you applied Dimension to kill annual bluegrass.
· Make your first application of fall lawn fertilizer. If overseeding or renovating an entire lawn, use a “starter fertilizer.”
Truslow Family Farm Stand at Falls Run
Wednesdays - Through October 2016 - 8:00AM-12:00PM - CASH/CHECK
Taylor will continue to bring his locally grown produce and eggs for us to purchase each Wednesday morning. He asked that I thank each and every resident for continuing to support his farm stand. Way to show the love Falls Run and as Joan would say, “Remember to eat your veggies!”
If you are unable to get out to get to the farm stand, contact Lara (540-371-4563) no later than Tuesday mornings to arrange for orders to Taylor for delivery (available ONLY for homebound residents).
Balanced Fitness Class – Temporary Cancellation
just for the
summer due to
begin again on
Falls Run Gazette Archive
Trash Pickup Schedule
The trash pickup schedule is back to twice a week for the summer. This schedule is the same as last year's schedule. Please See Below:
Monday - Trash Pickup
Thursday - Trash & Recycling Pickup
Tuesday - Trash Pickup
Friday - Trash & Recycling Pickup
County Waste will pick up trash on its normally scheduled day even holidays EXCEPT for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.
Announcing the creation of a Falls Run Gazette Archive on this website. We don’t have many issues right now, but the archive will continue to grow as each new issue of the Gazette is published. The archive is in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. If you do not have an Acrobat reader, follow the directions on the Archive page.
To access the archive, place your cursor on the Gazette button. Click the Gazette Archive button.
Scheduled Board and Committee Meetings
- Working Meeting every 4th Wednesday at 6 PM at the
Center. Open meeting at 7 PM
Villa Board - Click here for the Villa Board meeting schedule
Communications Committee - 1st Wednesday each month at 1 PM - Center
Community Center Committee - 2nd Friday of each month at 1 PM - Center
Covenants Committee: 1st Thursday of each month at 1 PM - Center
Election Committee: When announced, starting in July
Finance Committee - 3rd Tuesday of each month at 3 PM - Center
1st Monday each month at 9:30 AM - Center
Modifications Committee - 2nd Wednesday of each month at 10 AM - Center
Property & Grounds Committee - 1st Wednesday of each month at 10 AM - Center
Social Committee -1st Tuesday of each month at 10 AM - Center
Travel Committee - 2nd Wednesday of each month at 11 AM - Center
All Falls Run Residents are welcome and are encouraged to attend